E-WorkflowProcess management today is one of the main ways for a company to maintain its competitiveness. In any corporation there is a series of business processes that can and/or must be automated in order to improve the quality of general manageability, accelerate the interaction between the executors and the decision making.
Workflow is an information system to ensure the performance of the tasks that the executors face within process control. In other words, the Workflow class systems coordinate the performance of the operations that make up a company’s business processes.
The goals of workflow automation are as follows:
• providing the management with an opportunity to receive up-to-date, relevant and accurate information about the company’s operation; the analysis of such information underlies the adoption of management decisions and timely adjustment of the development strategy;
• organization of process performance management. The implementation of Workflow- technologies provides a conveyor for processing the informational, financial and material flows based on a coordinated performance of operations, activities and tasks, without limiting however the creative and business activity of the executors in charge of a specific area of work;
• collection, organization of storage and provision of access to the documents and data used in the performance of automated system processes. Whereas the electronic document management systems (EDMS) focus on the registration, accounting, indexing, storage and retrieval of documents, the Workflow class systems establish a connection between the documents and process operations, manage the rules of the documents’ transmission and delivery “to the right person at the right time”;
• integration of separate information systems making up a company’s corporate information space and existing in different departments into a single information system of process performance support. Such an integration helps to avoid redundancy and inconsistency of the data used in various organizational structures.
A modern Workflow system must be:
• simple and flexibly adaptable;
• it must have an easily readable and simple notation, to be used for the visual customization of business process. Moreover, workflow systems often serve as a medium of document transmission, i.e. a means of support of electronic document circulation, and an integrated company organizer, implemented in Workflow by means of an alert system.
The S&T Mold offers for implementation Workflow solutions based on EMC Documentum commercial products (Documentum, E-Room), an alternative option for low cost solutions on the Open-Source platform (Alfresco) is also available.